In case you missed it; You can check out Part 1 for a look at our plans for the Kitchen, Dining, and Living rooms.
Today though we're gonna head upstairs and see what kind of damage I can do in the Bedrooms and Bathrooms. Fun!
Upstairs Stairwell and Hallway
I'm not sure that these pictures truly do it justice, but this area is a WHOLE lot of peach. The previous owner obviously had a thing for the seashore, but seeing as we're at least 2 hours from the closest beach, and 4 hours from the ocean, I just don't quite get it.
- Paint. No ideas on a color yet, but almost any other neutral would be an improvement.
- Re-caulk all the cracked trim. I've already scraped most of the old stuff out, so the rest should be easy.
- Reorganize the closets. I'd love to swap out the wire shelving, but we'll see.
- Change the color of the banister and railing? This will likely only happen if I can convince Ant to change the hardwood floors too.
Have you all noticed yet that our house is pretty much straight out of an Ikea catalog? Don't get me wrong.
I love Ikea, but after going through at least 5 moves, this Malm set-up has seen much better days.
- Make a new bed. I'm thinking about DIYing one of those cute tufted headboards that have been so popular lately.
- Get new dressers and end tables. It doesn't look like there's any hope in salvaging the old ones.
- Paint: Ant and I have tentatively agreed on a color (nothing short of a miracle!), but it could end up being a bit too dark. Gotta test it.
- The mirror was left behind by the old owner and I can't decide if it should stay where it is or go down to the dining room to hang above the (imaginary) buffet table. Either way I think it needs some kind of frame.
- Curtains: I like the black-out ones that we used before, but the design in my head will probably look better with sheers. Hmm, Do I want it to look pretty or do I want to get more sleep? That's not even really a question is it?
- Yay, more brass stuff! Who wants to come over for a spray painting party?
As you can see, I pretty much never have a reason to even go in here. Of my whopping 8 hangers, one is a scarf holder, and 2 are cardigans that still have the tags on a year after I bought them. Oh well, I'd still like to get rid of the wire shelving and make it nicer. Or maybe I should put the makeover money towards buying myself a new wardrobe instead. What do you think?
*For those of you who are wondering, my clothes are in the 3 drawer dresser in the bedroom pictures above.
Where do I even start in here? I'm not completely sold on the boring white tiles, but I'm not sure
if I want to rip everything out and start over, or just try to liven it up with some paint.
- We've got another super snazzy border to take down.
- Replace the sink/counter top. There is a giant crack in the bowl of the sink and even though it doesn't leak, it's still ugly.
- Paint or replace the vanity cabinet. I can't help myself. Wood just shouldn't be orange...It weirds me out.
- The floor of the shower (the bottom plastic liner part) was painted. Who does that? Anyway, they didn't even bother to scrub off the existing soap scum before painting, so it's all cracked and peeling. Gross.
- Re-grout the cracks in the shower. I have no idea how to do this, but there's always google.
- The vanity light... Well just look at it. It's pretty much the same one they put in every basic house/apartment everywhere. Lets update!
- The extra mirrors were left behind by the old owner, and I'm not sure what to do with them.
- The flooring is linoleum, and if we do decide to do a major overhaul, that'll be going away too.
This is pretty much the only room in the house that actually looks a little "put together", and that's only because I took everything from the bathroom at the apartment and tossed it in here. I'm sure we'll at least update it with a new coat of paint eventually, but it's probably the lowest room on our list of priorities. Seriously, the kids aren't gonna mind - Corbin isn't even potty trained yet! (Gotta work on that too.)
Speaking of Corbin, his room looks like a tiny mint colored box right now, and I honestly have no idea what to do with it. We decided to carry over the "woodland" theme from the apartment, but while I had a great plan for the old room, here I'm drawing a complete blank.
- Paint. Most likely a different shade of green, or a sky blue kind of color.
- Get rid of the crib and bring over Reli's old toddler bed.
- Find a coordinating dresser.
- Mend and hang the curtains from the old room. (They're super cool. I can't believe I've never shared them before!)
- Install some kind of light fixture. Not sure if it'll be a lamp, or ceiling light or what, but right now we're only using the window.
- Wall art and decor thingys: We've got a few of those big Ikea leaves, and I'd like to keep the tree trunk nook and the grass rug (Two more projects I never shared. Duh!), but no ideas beyond that.